Monday, April 20, 2009

Real "Mini Dads"

Friday was practice day at the Crossroads MX Loretta Lynn Qualifier. Now I've been going to these things for almost 10 years and seen a lot things. At Lowes along time ago I seen a Dad grab his boy boy by the front of the helmet and scream at him what he was doing wrong. This was of course after the kid crossed the finish line in 2nd place at a LL Regional! I've had water put in our gas, seen air filters with holes put in them, so nothing really surprises me much anymore at any thing with Loretta Lynn's attached to it other than her music!

Much to my surprise Friday I was hanging out along the fence taking some photos in one particular corner. There was break in the practice and I noticed a Dad sitting his rider down on a hay bale. My first thought was, here we go, time for this kid to get his butt chewed. Now, I'm a pretty laid back type of guy, but I have cussed a few mini Dads in my time over the above mentioned antics and thought, I hope this goes well.

Well this Dad actually had a conversation with his son. He never yelled, grabbed the kid or any of the other "mini Dad" atrocities. I watched for a few seconds and thought, this guy has it figured out. This is what racing is supposed to be!

They later walked a short distance and Dad was pointing to some corners and the boy was intently listening and asking questions. Again Dad surprised me with a stick. No not to beat some cornering technique into Junior, but to draw a diagram in the dirt! It was truly amazing!

Then here comes another Dad and young rider holding hands walking
this section of the track, again talking about the up coming table top, ruts and where they thought would be a good line. I thought what in the world is going on here in Central Illinois!

Have "mini-Dads" changed from years gone past? Are we truly a kinder, more gentler motocross community.

Well it was short lived, I stayed there a while shooting more photos, when behind me I heard some idiot screaming at his kid about what he was doing wrong, blah, blah, blah...

If anybody out there recognizes these fine gentleman, please have them contact me. I'd love to forward these great shots to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!